Thursday, October 16, 2008

Primary Fermentation Complete-







The purple hands are proof. The hydrometer and refractometer agree...we have wine! (In fact, I'm sipping at some right now. Opaque, with deep blood red coloration and fruit coming through. The acids are there, but not too much so.)

My feet are a little cold, ankles still wet, shirt clammy from spray coming off the bladder press. What a wonder Karen is for lending a hand and all her equipment! She is amazing. I cannot imagine what a pain in the neck this must all be for her and never a complaint. Must make very good wine for the right "Thank You!"

All in all, not major mistakes. Very nearly broke three fingers as they came close to getting caught between a shifting bin and the metal edge on the dolly. Tried to force open the press without relieving the pressure and might well have lost some teeth in that move. But no worries...all in one piece, happy and taking another big sip!

Sue snapped lots of fun pictures. Malolactic fermentation is underway to soften the acids and round out the mouthfeel. Picking the cab in another nine days and certain to feel like a seasoned winemaker when that goes to crush. I honestly never anticipated making wine...always thought that Stan and his students would be the main drivers in this show...now I wouldn't miss it for the world. Man, I miss Stan. Right this minute he could probably finally convince me to start taking his classes (he had been working on me for years).

No comments: